Note: I, Natalie, am running courses as fundraisers for the Newcastle Birth Movement Newcastle project this year (at Hamilton). This means particularly good opportunities to afford private birth education. Call for more info, or send a contact form! Natalie: 0406 934 645
Hypnobirthing International, Mongan Method (2011-recent)
Did you know that only 4% of mums around Australia will take the action to do an amazing birth education course, for example, Hypnobirthing, Calmbirth or She Births. Sadly that leaves 96% of families who will miss out on (and not even realise) the huge advantages of preparing for their birth through private birth education.
Could you be one of those rare 4% of mums?
A little about my own experiences of birthing (by Natalie Meade).
Personally, I feel that I’ve been VERY fortunate to have experienced two natural, vaginal births (I know with hindsight that I was lucky to have certain factors (of great importance) on my side and I had them by sheer luck for my first birth!).
My first baby I did not do any special birth education. I just assumed the hospital course was the best choice. (I was one of the 96%) and I knew nothing about birth and how to ensure a natural birth.
In contrast, by the time I birthed my second baby, I had eight years of experience as a birth educator/doula!
And the births were worlds apart. For my first birth I was tight, tense and scared. I felt out of control and panicky. I had no techniques, knowledge or skills to calm me or bring me positive feelings as the birth unfolded. It is a miracle I birthed naturally. The birth was very long, very painful and I felt very disconnected.
For my recent birth, I had amazing birth confidence, I enjoyed every moment, I birthed very smoothly and efficiently and I felt powerful and joyful.
A little about my work:
The Birth Education that I deliver has components from: relationship counselling; parenting education; psychology/neuroscience; midwifery wisdoms; conference learnings; clinical hypnotherapy; mindfulness; belly dance for birth; tantra, intimacy coaching; breastfeeding essentials, plus my own personal journey learnings!
The Birth Education five week, five session course fee is 550 per family for a small group course, or 850 for a one-one course (that’s the woman or couple and the instructor only). (these fees include remote doula support with myself and also two post birth support visits at your home).
Call to chat about dates and course opportunities 0406 934 645
Studies show that Hypnobirthing (hypnosis for childbirth) has numerous positive outcomes:
- shorter average length of labour
- lower caesarean rates
- infants with higher than average APGAR scores (measurement of the baby’s well being at the birth)
- fewer cases of pre-eclampsia/dehydration
- decreased use of medication such as gas and epidurals
- decreased use of synthetic oxytocics or artificial rupture of membranes
- increased ease and comfort of labour and birth (self-reported and observed)
- greater emotional satisfaction for mothers as a result of having their birthing partners informed, involved and supportive.
In addition to this, the majority of women experiencing hypnosis during childbirth in their second or subsequent births report feeling more in control, confident, relaxed and focused, and less fearful, than during their other birthing experiences.
1. Sanjay Datta, Bhavani Shankar Kodali, Scott Segal (2010). “Non-pharmacological Methods for Relief of Labor Pain”. Obstetric Anesthesia Handbook: 85–93. 2. Eappen, Sunil; Robbins, Deborah (2002). “Nonpharmacological Means of Pain Relief for Labor and Delivery”. International Anesthesiology Clinics 40 (4): 103–114. 3. Phillips-Moore, Julie (2012). “Birthing outcomes from an Australian HypnoBirthing® programme”. British Journal of Midwifery 20 (8): 558–564. 4. Jones, Shirley (2008). “HypnoBirthing ®. The breakthrough approach to safer, easier, comfortable birthing”. British Journal of Midwifery 16 (10): 694 – 694. 5. Graves, Katharine (2012). “The HypnoBirthing ® Book. An inspirational guide for a calm, confident, natural birth.”
A natural water birth, no stitches! Thank you Natalie
Very grateful to have these life changing techniques, the whole course was very useful and you cover a lot of things that prenatal class didn’t
The course taught my husband and I life skills that we have applied with our parenting technique and in our work situations. The skills taught to me for my daughters birth day were incredible and I pushed that baby out without any fear and when I reflect on labour I get excited because it was such a powerful experience!
Gemma, Central Coast
Thank you, Scarlett came into the world by a drug free, vaginal birth with no interventions.
Yes! This was the birth that we wanted ! After two difficult c-section births – working with Natalie for our Birth preparation gave us a calm, relaxed, quick natural birth
Louise and Alex, Central Coast